Sunday, May 25, 2014

Regression testing ServiceStack services with RavenDB embeded

One of the great things about using RavenDB and ServiceStack on Sonatribe is the ability to spin the whole system up inside a unit test. ServiceStack offers AppHostHttpListenerBase which can run in process and RavenDB offers the embeded database which can run in-memory. The fact that these two run in-process and in-memory means that regression testing Sonatribe REST services is simple and fast. Almost as fast as unit testing!

To be able to run tests like the following regression test:




I use the AppHostHttpListenerBase in my BaseTest class. Which is roughly the same as the following:



Now, When I inherit from SelfHostedBaseTest each test spins up a new host and a new in-memory RavenDB instance. This means I have a clean slate for each test, ideal for running everything in isolation. Not only this but I am also testing my services in the exact same stack as they run in production!